York Apron




The York apron from Helen's Closet is a pretty straight forward pattern. I saw the pattern and thought this could be the perfect apron. Some aprons don't come high enough on me because I am short. The one size fits all apron means I have to twist a knot in the back a couple of times and it still comes down at weird spot on me.

 I already had left over bias tape that I had made from a project a long time ago which I meant I didn't have to make 8 yards of bias tape and could get straight to sewing. I also used left over canvas fabric from IKEA that I used for the apron. I  shortened the pattern using the instructions in the pattern.

I use the quilting method of making continuous bias tape which saves so much fabric. It's made from a square and you only sew two seams. Melly from Melly Sews  has a great tutorial on youtube and McCalls' quilting also has a good tutorial on youtube on how to make continuous bias tape.


Since I used leftover fabric from a previous project, I didn't have enough fabric for the scraps. I added yellow fabric to the back straps and used the same yellow fabric for the pockets to make it look intentional.

I almost left out the pockets on this apron because they were giving me a hard time because they are curved. I am working on sewing a pair of jeans and after making the back pockets on the jeans a lightbulb moment happened. I printed the pocket pattern on cardstock, cut off the seam allowances, and ironed the pocket around the pattern which gave the pocket crisp edges.

The pattern is also a pinafore which I would call a jumper. A pinafore reminds me of an apron from the 1800s or early 1900s. I used the extended pack of this pattern to make the apron. Helen's Closet patterns are really good in explaining basic adjustments and pitfalls to avoid. I highly recommend this pattern.

Comments