Burnside Jumper Dress -Simplicity 8641 by Sew House of Seven


T-Shirt Pattern: City Park Tee by Hey June Patterns. Dress Pattern: Simplicity 8641. Fabric: Lightweight Denim

I have been seeing online jumper dress patterns popping out all over the place. I remember in high school having a plaid jumper dress and loving it. I love printed/patterned fabric so much that my closet has too many prints and not enough solids which translates to a wardrobe not mixing and matching. I was determined to buy a solid fabric to wear with all my handmade t-shirts underneath the dress. I used a light-weight denim that is 100% cotton.

I chose the Simplicity 8641 because the indie pattern design, Sew House of Seven designed it. I have had good luck with indie designers with good fit and instructions. This pattern did not disappoint.



I have had bad experiences turning fabric tubes (think spending hours trying to turn fabric tubes) and it was not working again to turn the long fabric tube straps. I found an article by seamwork about just sewing the fabric strap as bias tape and I used method four the flat strap. If you want to save time and your sanity, use the flat strap method for making straps.



The ease in the pattern was listed on the pattern tissue paper. I was really glad to find this even if it was not listed on the back of the pattern envelope or instructions. I would have possibly used a smaller size, but the ease said 3 inches in the hips which is a perfect amount of ease. I wanted to make sure that I could have the dress go over my hips. It's extremely helpful to have listed finished measurements and design ease on a pattern to pick the size to cut out. Otherwise on simplicity patterns, you may end up finding you the finished garment is quite large.

The pattern was fun to sew and I am wearing it frequently, too.

Comments