Kwik Sew 2425 Aka The Lady Skater Dress



When saw this blue laser cut techno knit fabric in the store, I just knew I had to buy it and sew up a dress. I have never seen a fabric quite like this one in a store. I have seen pictures online of clothes with a laser cut design and always thought that it was pretty and something I would want to wear. The fabric is see through due to the laser cut design. I bought also a blue knit fabric to layer somehow underneath. At first, I thought I would interline the fabric meaning I would sew both pieces of fabric as one. I was concerned that because both fabrics did not have the same amount of stretch it would be a disaster trying to sew them together. I chose to make two dresses. One dress acts as the slip.





I modified the pattern by adding a back zipper and drafted a facing. The facing instead of a collar band looks classier. I went up a size to add the back zipper. Since I was working with a knit that stretches and the pattern does say the bodice is loosely fitted, I could have stayed with my original size.

I used wonder tape for the first time to stabilize the zipper while sewing a zipper to the knit fabric otherwise the zipper would not stay flat on the fabric. Another good choice is to iron a small strip of knit interfacing to the zipper seam allowance. The wonder tape helped me have perfect placement at where the bodice and skirt meet without any trouble. I am definitely going to use wonder tape again even if the fabric is not a a knit fabric.


I cover-stitched the hems. I have never used the twin needle approach. My advice on sergers is they are not really difficult to thread. Just follow the manual and realize it takes more time because you are not just threading one needle like a regular sewing machine.



The actual dress pattern is a straightforward knit dress. It's a half circle skirt with a loosely fitted bodice. Kwik Sew has a 1/4 in. seam allowance which is perfect if sewing on a serger and just as do-able if sewing on a regular sewing machine. This pattern is out of print. I found it on Etsy. Other similar patterns would be a lady skater dress. You could also use your favorite t-shirt pattern (shorten pattern to your waistline) and draft a circle skirt for the dress pattern.

Comments