Harry Potter Hudson Pants

Jogger Sewing Pattern: Hudson Pants by True Bias. Fabric: Harry Potter Knit Fabric-Marauder's Map



  I was scrolling through a sewing facebook group and someone posted about Joann Fabrics selling Harry Potter and Star Wars knit fabric. Not just any knit fabric, cotton spandex (95% cotton, 5% spandex) which means this knit fabric has good recovery and since it's a medium weight knit is easy to handle. I would say the fabric is comparable to Art Gallery Knits.  I have been wanting to make a pair of knit pajama pants. It was narrowing down a good sewing pattern. I already had the True Bias Hudson Pants and decided to make it for the second time




I tried to save money the first time I made the Hudson Pants. The pattern calls for 1.5 yards for the size and view I made. I bought the fabric online which meant I had to buy the fabric in one yard increments not half yards. I bought 1 yard of brown french terry fabric. I always end up with leftover fabric and I thought I can get away with just 1 yard of fabric. I was wrong, but still determined that I would make the pants out of 1 yard. Normally, you want the greatest amount of stretch to go around your body. I broke that cardinal rule. This resulted in a pair of slightly uncomfortable pants because the stretch was not going along with the movements of my body. It's wearable, but not something I want to wear time after time.

After that first pair, I was less than enthusiastic about the pattern and the hype that I heard about it. Even though, I knew the problem was my fault. Buy 2 yards of fabric online if necessary otherwise it's not worth it to make the pants in the first place.



The pattern is a quick sew if you are experienced at sewing. I sewed half it on my sewing machine and half on my serger. If the pattern had a 1/4 in. seam allowance, I would have sewn it all on my serger. I can't sew a 3/8 in. seam allowance without the markings on my sewing machine.

This pair of Hudson pants is comfortable and it's Harry Potter featuring one of my favorite books in the series Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. The Marauder's Map is first featured in that book. I am glad that I made the Hudson pants again. Remember to follow the sewing rules or know which ones are not set in stone.




Comments